Dear Hamster expert (yes that means you I hope)
I would not ask such a favour if I was not desperate. But how oh how can you make a hamster stop chewing the carpet?
This is Zebedeee's most favourite activity in the whole wide world, and the poor carpets least favourite past time. I have done some internet research on the matter and thought I would give you an insight into methods I have tried so that you can tell me where I am going wrong and how to fix this problem before my hair goes grey.
1. Cover the area with something- she chews next to it or moves it.
2. Completely barricade the area- she busts her way in and makes a lot of mess chewing the boxes.
3. Tape the carpet- she chews the carpet and the tape and I worry it will all get stuck in her pouch!
4. Putting her in a ball- she gives me these "Mummy let me out and I promise to never chew the carpet again" eyes (this promise never ever lasts).
5. Kinder egg distraction- only works until all the kinder eggs have been hidden under the bed and I cannot find them.
6. Bribery with any type of food- works until she has snatched the food and stuffed it in her pouch.
7. Making trails away from the most tasty carpet area- I cannot let her eat her favourite drops all day long even though she would love it.
I have even tried blowing air on her and flicking her with water which I think she quite enjoys (and makes me feel mean) as it does not stop the destructive little face. The only things I have read and not tried for obvious reasons are a) removing the carpet and b) putting vinegar on the carpet.
Please please please help us.